Thursday, 27 October 2011

I love Autumn!

Autumn in my opinion rivals Spring for top spot in the battle of the seasons!
I'm loving Autumn at the moment for the crisp dry days and for Pumpkins! My eldest Son has taken a liking to them and points them out everytime we see them in the shops or on any websites, saying in his cute little voice, 'Pumkin' ( note to self, have the video camera primed next time we get them out of the kitchen so we can capture the cute way he says it!)
Anyway back to the point of the post, we visited Kenyon Hall Farm on Monday to go pick our own pumpkin and of course I took a load of photos to capture the moment, these are the best of the bunch and I was so eager to scrap them that I've had them processed already! I'm off to a crop tomorrow night so will take them with me I think and get them onto a page!















We also purchased some purple potatoes and carrots from the farm shop and had them for tea on Monday night. They tasted quite like regular carrots but with a slightly different taste but not sure if thats just cause they were really fresh as opposed to supermarket carrots.

Have found a couple of recipes that use the insides of the pumpkins including this one for pumpkin cupcakes which look and sound delicious so I'm now planning on doing some baking over the weekend!
What do you do with your pumpkin flesh when making a lantern?

4 comments:

akilli melek said...

pumpkin soup is my fav. there are 2recipies on my blog if you fancy trying them out on 6 Nov 2010 post.
We also have purple carrots in turkey - i think they taste a little like parsnip/carrot cross.
let us know how your cupcakes turn out.

Ladkyis said...

we fed ours to the chickens. When I made pumpkin pie I had to bake the pumpkin first and then sieve the puree to get all the stringy bits out. I decided right then that I would buy tinned pumpkin from The American Candy Company. They do all sorts of american candy and groceries too, including canned pumpkin.

Karen said...

Gorgeous photos, it looks like you all had a fab time :) I usually end up making either Pumpkin pie, cupcakes or soup with the inside flesh and dry out the seeds which are yummy, well I like them!!

Jennifer Grace said...

Brilliant photos, no wonder you're so keen to scrap them!

I try something different each year with the pumpkin flesh, this year I have a slow cooker recipe for an stew and dumplings with carrots and pumpkin. I always dry fry the seeds with salt and pepper too. Mmmm.